About Everest Base Camp Trek
Everest Base Camp Trek is one of the most popular and once in a lifetime world’s top adventure destination in the Himalayas. Trekking to Everest base camp in Nepal is an ultimate goal for trekkers. The scenery is simply breathtaking with parades of glistening peaks, stunning glaciers around, ancient buddhist stupa and monasteries with the fascinating Sherpa people and their culture and tradition in khumbu region.
Start from Lukla after scenic flight to Lukla (35 minutes exciting Mountain flight from Kathmandu). Once we arrive in lukla trekking trail passes through Sherpa villages over countless ridges. Trek to Everest Base Camp along the Dudh Koshi river, climb up to the busting Sherpa settlement of Namche Bazaar where we spend two nights to ensure proper acclimatization with exploration hike around. Leaving Namche we hike to the hidden valley of Khunde and Khumjung and then to Dingboche via Phortse. Everest base camp trek designed itinerary allows all the trekkers to have enough time for proper and better acclimatisation. We hike up to the Kalapathar at the height of 5545 meters, the highest point on our entire trek, from where the experience of seeing the mount Everest and wonderful Himalayan vista which we never to be forgotten.
Trekking Plus designed Everest Base Camp trek route in the Himalayas to minimize the risk of Acute Mountain Sickness with two proper acclimatization days before conquering Everest Base Camp. From Namche Bazaar we visit the National Park headquarters with displays of local flora and fauna and the culture and lifestyles of the Khumbu Sherpas. An afternoon walk to the Sherpa village of Khumjung offers an authentic experience of Sherpa traditional life. Magnificent views of Thamserku, Kangtega, Ama Dablam (The Jewel), Island Peak plus the Everest – Lhotse – Nuptse group. Everest Base Camp Trek route resumes toward the hilltop village of Tengboche and visit to the Buddhist Monastery. Then to Pangboche summer Sherpa settlement, and to Dingboche for another acclimatization stop: walk to Nangkartshang Hill for fitness at the higher altitudes. See unparalleled views of the Ama Dablam, Lhotse and Nuptse glaciers.
Food and Accommodation
- Teahouse accommodation during the Everest Base Camp Trek
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner is served at tea house during the Everest Base Camp Trek
- 1 night accommodation in Kathmandu on Bed and Breakfast Basis
- 11 nights mountain lodge accommodation while on Everest Base Camp Trek.
- Farewell dinner in Kathmandu
Best Time and weather for Trekking to Everest Base Camp Trek
There are four seasons in the Everest region trekking such as summer, winter, autumn, and spring. Autumn (September, October, and November) and Spring (March, April, and May) are the most popular seasons for trekking to Everest Base Camp. Moderate sunshine and low rainfall make these seasons trekkers’ favorite seasons.
Monsoon season ( june, junly and august ) will be raining and you will encounter wet trail. You will have to consider the possibilities of rain as well. So if you are not experienced trekking in the mountains, you must be more careful trekking in summers as you might experience accidental slips in wet trails.
Winter ( december, january and february), will be too cold for trekking to high altitude above 4000m. Trekking to EBC might be tricky for you if you have not experienced the cold of the mountains. In these seasons, the temperature can go as low as -25 degrees in Gorak Shep and kalapatter and hard to get on view point because of heavy snow. In addition, some trails might be closed and only quite a few loges will be open for trekking due to snowfall in these months.
Difficulty Level of Everest Base Camp Trek - Moderate
You have to continuously hike for about 12 days during Everest Base Camp Trek. Each day you will be walking 6-7 hours ie 15 to 20 km and hike uphill and downhill continuously during the trail. You will have to carry a day pack weighing around 5+ kilograms for hours even you hired a porter on your trek. So, the most important thing to do before booking a trek is to have a basic training. It will improve your body strength and makes you ready for high altitude trekking. You will have to prepare yourself to walk about 6 hours a day on rough terrain with the changing weather. The oxygen levels go down, up to 60% less than in normal sea level condition. This can affect any age group and even people who are physically fit. So, you might get altitude sickness as well if you are not taking care up in the mountain.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek
- Experience Scenic Mountain flight over the Himalayas (Kathmandu- Lukla- Kathmandu)
- Explore Sherpa villages, culture and lifestyle, old monasteries, prayers flags, Prayer wheels
- Mountain view (Mount Everest, Pumori, Ama Dablam, Lhotse, Nuptse), thrilling view of glacier (Khumbu), sensational trekking trails, high suspension bridges, unexposed flora and fauna en-route
- Panoramic view of sunrise and sunset at the world’s highest peak Mount Everest(8848 m) from Kalapathar (5555 m).
- Day 01: Kathmandu-Lukla Scenic Flight and short trek to Phakding
- Day 02: Phakding to Namche Bazaar Trek.
- Day 03: Rest day for acclimatization
- Day 04: Namche Bazaar to Tyangboche Trek
- Day 05: Tyangboche to Dingboche Trek
- Day 06: Dingboche to Lobuche Trek
- Day 07: Lobuche to Everest Base Camp and back to Gorakshep Trek
- Day 08: Explore Kala Pattar; trek down from Gorakshep via Lobuche to Dingboche
- Day 09: Dingboche to Tengboche trek
- Day 10: Tengboche to Namche Bazaar Trek
- Day 11: Namche Bazaar to Lukla Trek.
- Day 12: Fly Back to Kathmandu.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner whilst on trekking ( Local hygienic food )
- Local guest house accommodations in trekking on twin sharing (bathroom outside)
- Applicable trekking fees (National park permit and TIMS).
- Trekking leader English speaking
- Porters (one porter between two persons is provided to carry the clients personal effects)
- Domestic flight to and from Lukla including guide.
- Duffle bags for porters are provided
- Insurance for the trekking staff. (insurance as per state law)
- All the government tax and our (Mount Trails) service charges.
- Farewell Dinner before departure.
- Our service charges.
What's not included
- Personal trekking equipment
- Extra accommodation, meal and sightseeing in Kathmandu.
- International flights and Visa.
- Your travel insurance (for travel, cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss of life, theft of or damage to personal effects).
- Tips and gratuities (crew frequently receives some recognition for good service)
- Costs arising from unforeseen events outside the control of Trekking Plus
- Emergency rescue evacuation if required such as personal accident insurance or Helicopter rescue.Personal expenses such as alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, mineral water, monuments entrance fees, postage, laundry, battery charge, video, camera, phone, etc.
- All other services not included in the "cost includes" section above.
I travelled to Nepal to volunteer while working remote, and I didn´t have too much time to do the Everest Base Camp within the recommendable timing (12 days including Kala…
Trekking Plus serves you verities of wonderful Nepalese and Continental food during our trek. We will get western cuisine up in the mountain but which is not that free and good. We serve you local local cuisines for breakfast, lunch & dinner which is included in our package cost. Trekking Plus guide will suggest you a delicious, hygienic with special food during your trip. Normally it takes few days’ hard work to local porters and caravans to bring food to mountains. We usually have breakfast and dinner at the same Lodge where we stay overnight but lunch will be serve en route.
Accommodation in mountain will be in a tea house or mountain local lodges which is basic standard. We will get private room but shared bathroom most of the tea house but this days we get room with attached bathroom as well on lower altitude. In high altitudes, rooms are comparatively basic. Blankets are generally provided but we will recommend you to have your own sleeping bags. There is a large dining room where they use a wood fire burning so that the dining room is warmer. There is normally no electric most of the villages has hydroelectric power and a solar lighting. When we charge our electronic things than we have to charge at reception which we have to pay as well.
We will get mineral water and boiled water along the trekking routes which is also an additional cost. We discourage not to buy Mineral bottle water but use boiled water from the local lodges and put water purify tablets. Plastic bottles are difficult to dispose off and have become an environmental problem in mountains.
Trekking Plus offers you a Trekking maps as a complementary and Company T-shirt.
What to take
Trekking Plus would suggest you to pack as lightly as possible when you are on mountain. We provide one porter between two trekkers to carry your trekking gears. You will be carried your valuable things in a day pack by your own and your other bags will be carried by the porter in a duffel bag which we provided. Porter carries about 25 KG from 2 trekkers. You can store you’re your luggage which you are not going to use it on trek can leave in Kathmandu Hotel which is free of cost. Please visit our FAQS for more details.
Important to note
Please visit our Equipments check list, Altitude Mountain Sickness section for additional details of what you need to bring on trek as well as prevent about AMS. Trekking Plus top priority is the safety and security of our customers and staff during all of our trips.
Safety Our top priority is the safety and security of our customers and staff during all of our trips. Trekking Plus field crews normal first aid kits on all of our tours, which is readily available for both customers and staff but we will recommend you to bring first aid kits yourself from your country because Nepalese medicine some time it does not work properly. We are constantly in communication with our field office and monitor all aspects of government and weather issues that might affect your trip. Also, we are always available 24 hours emergency contact.