Bhutan Tourist Visas
All visitors to Bhutan (except those from India, Bangladesh, and the Maldives) are required to have a visa. Bhutanese vida are issued only by Department of Immigraiton, Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs, Royal Government of Bhutan. All visitors must also book their travel through a local tour operator. This tour operator will obtain the visa once your trip expenses are paid in full.
You must have a current, valid passport and a valid visa to enter Bhutan. It is included in your Bhutan holiday price & you cannot obtain a Bhutan Visa yourself. It is a government regulation that you must use a licensed Bhutanese Tour Operator to book your travel to Bhutan or one of their international partners.
- You will need to send us a scanned copy of your passport details at the time of booking in order for us to make the application for your Bhutan Visa. IT must be the passport you will be travelling with.
- Please ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months from the date you will arrive in Bhutan that the passport details you send to apply for your Bhutan Visa is the passport you will be usingyou’re your Bhutan Trip.
- Upon receipt of your final balance payment for your holiday we will make the Bhutan Visa application. Visa process takes only a few days. Upon which we will then send you a copy of your Visa Clearance Letter.
- You must take two copies of paper visa on your Bhutan Holiday with you and present it (and your valid passport) upon arrival at Paro International Airport, upon which the Bhutan Visa will be stamped in your passport.
- The Bhutan Visa is often confused with the daily charge that all tourists to Bhutan must pay. This charge is best described as a minimum daily package tariff, which is imposed by the Bhutan Government.
Bhutan Tourist visa Fee
The Bhutanese Tourist Visa Fee is US $ 40 per person. Trekking Plus will obtain your Bhutanese tourist visa once your Bhutan Tour is confirmed by making full Bhutan tour payment and Bhutan Visa fee to the Tourism Council of Bhutan through us. Your Bhutan visa will be sent to you before the start of your Bhutan Tour.
If the above information is not adequate and if you need any further Bhutan travel information, please kindly write us at email@example.com and we will respond to you within 24 hours.
Rules for Tourists in Bhutan
Every country in the world has its own cultural traditions. When travelling to another country, you’re supposed to accept the local culture and customs. The Kingdom of Bhutan is a country with unique culture, beliefs and folk customs. Although Bhutan is still poor and backward, Bhutanese care little about the materials, instead they weigh a lot on the protection of the traditional culture. They are not sophisticated but very friendly to foreigners.
- When you travel to Bhutan, you shall not give the local people medicines, candy, food and other things unless the tour guide give you consent.
- The Bhutanese government attaches great importance to its cultural protection. It is illegal to buy cultural relics without permission from the government.
- Taking pictures is high on agenda for many foreign tourists. But travelling in such a religious country, you need to notice that photographing is forbidden in religious temples and sites.
- The Bhutanese government also rules that the airline shall require the passengers to provide visa application documents issued by the government before tickets being sold to foreigners. The government also stipulates that foreign tourists are not allowed to travel there on their own, instead they need to join tour groups with a tour guide accompanied.
- On top of that, before taking pictures of the Bhutanese, you have to ask for their consent. Or, the local people may feel being offended.
Bhutan Visa FAQS
How can I apply or get my tourist visa to Bhutan?
Please keep in mind that you cannot apply for a Bhutan visa yourself, this can only be done by government-authorized tour operators. The Embassy of Bhutan does not provide a visa service for tourist. You have to first contact a Bhutan tour operator to carry out the visa process. This will be explained in detail below.
What are the steps to get a Bhutan visa?
First, as mentioned in question one, you will need to contact with a Bhutan tour operator, that has been authorized by the Bhutan government, to apply for the visa on behalf of you. And you can only entry Bhutan when you are on a tour package provided by a registered tour operator.
After you confirm your trip and finish your payment, the visa application will be processed by the Tourism Council of Bhutan. We, Trekking Plus Tours, are responsible for sending your application to the Tourism Council. The process can only continue after the payment to the Tourism Council of Bhutan.
What are the documents that I need to provide to get my tourist visa?
In order to help you applying for the visa, we will ask you the following documents
- Country of residence and City
- Contact number (mobile phone preferred)
- A scanned copy of your passport
How long will it take for me to get the visa?
After receiving your passport copy, we will apply for your visa when your full payment has been obtained in Bhutan. The visa clearance will be processed within 5 days working by the Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB). We can arrange for your visa within a one-week period. So it is possible to book your trip this week and be in Bhutan in 7 days.
How will I receive my Bhutan visa?
Your visa application will be a digital submission and it will come as an electronic document. It is important that you print out the document and carry it with you. Visa verification is required when you check in for your Drukair flight and Bhutan Airlines flight and when you reach the immigration checkpoint at Paro International Airport.